It’s impressive how knitting needles have evolved. The Best Interchangeables are game-changers! Discover the best interchangeable needles in my knitting needle reviews.
They’re a great solution for your knitting troubles!
My Quick Recommendations
Note: Clicking the links takes you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon and Knit Picks.
I reviewed and updated this post on February 1, 2022.
Table Of Contents
Best Interchangeable Needles Set Reviews
Here are reviews of eight Interchangeable Knitting Needles Sets. Read the reviews on this page to find out more.
Each product review of these knitting needle sets features the cord lengths and the material of the tips. Let’s look at my evaluation of the types and factors in this list.
1. Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Steel Knitting Needle Set
Premium stainless steel knitting needle set includes 13 pairs of 4″ (10cm) tip length.
Sharp tips US Needles Sizes 2-15
- Needle Tip Sizes – 2.75mm, 3.25mm, 3.5mm, 3.75mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5,5mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm
- Includes 4 cable sizes in 18″, 26″, 34″ and 42″. When using the swivel cord it prevents curling of the cable as you knit.
- Includes tightening grip tool, small cable connectors, tip adaptors, panda stoppers, single point adapters, snips, darning needles, and safety pins.
- Comes with a brocade case to hold everything.
- Made of stainless steel
- Stitches slide over the needle
- Smooth connections, yarn doesn’t snag at the transition between the cord and needle
- Flexible Swivel Cables to prevent twisting of the cord.
- Tip adapter for using the larger size needles
- Nifty tools – tightening gripper and cute panda stoppers, snips, and darning needles
- Includes lifeline holes which expert knitters highly recommend for ease of fixing mistakes
- Use the extra cables as stitch holders
- Good for fingering weight yarns and lace weight yarns
- Easy to travel with and pop in your bag
- The sharpness of the needle points is excellent for lace knitting.
- Ships to most countries in Europe and India
- The case is stronger than the vinyl case some models have
- May need to use waxed paper on first use to stop yarns sticking
- They make noise as you knit
- Knitter who moves the points with your finger, beware! They’re super sharp, so they might prick your fingers
- You can’t use the small size tip cables with the large size tip cables
2. ChiaoGoo Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete Set
ChiaoGoo sells three sets –
- Small – 7 sizes – US 2 (2.75mm), US 3 (3.25mm), US 4 (3.55mm) , US 5 (3.75mm), US 6 (4mm), US 7 (4.5mm), US 8 (5mm)
- Large – 6 sizes – US 9 (5.5mm), US 10 (6mm), US 10.5 (6.5mm), US 11 (8mm), US 13 (9mm), and US 15 (10mm)
- Chiaogoo 7400 c Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete set – 13 sizes
Sets of these needles come with
- 4″ (10 cm), surgical-grade, stainless steel metal, lace tips
- Three cables: 8″ (20cm), 14″ (35cm), and 22″ (55cm)
Chiaogoo Red Lace Twist red cables are a multi-strand steel cord coated with red nylon and memory-free, so no kinks!
Included in the twist set are –
- Easy-to-read, coded cable connectors
- End stoppers
- T-shaped tightening keys
- Stitch markers
- Needle gauge
- Fabric carry case
- The coating has a smooth surface and fast tip. Makes knitting each row easier!
- A longer taper than HiyaHiya tips and sharper
- The cables are memory free, so they don’t kink
- Variety of nifty tools
- The shapes make it comfortable to try
- Tips of these metal needles have a lifeline hole
- Popular with lace knitters as the sharp tips help with accuracy
- Made in China
- Memory free cables
- The lifelines are a great extra detail
- Great for the magic loop, the flexibility of the cord makes it easy
- Packaged securely in a box
- Easy to use cable connector
- Different sized tips are marked
- Great for speed knitting!
- Some knitters don’t like the ‘zing’ sound the needles tend to make when they slide over each other.
- You can’t use the small size tip cables with the large size tip cables.
3. Knit Picks Options Wood Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set
The Rainbow Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set from Knitpicks features gorgeous rainbow-colored laminated birchwood.
It has smooth joins, flexible cables, and the right amount of grip. Some of the best knitting needles for beginner.
Set Of These Needles Come With
- Rainbow Interchangeable Needle Tips – (Tip length is 4-3/4″)
- 9 Pairs in US Different Sizes: 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 and 11 (3.50mm, 3.75mm, 4.00mm, 4.50mm, 5.00mm, 5.50mm, 6.00mm, 6.50mm, and 8mm)
- Cables – 2 each of 24″ and 32″ lengths
- Accessories – 9″ x 5″ snapped clear vinyl needle case, 8 end caps, and 2 cable keys
(The cables’ sizing is the length when the needle tips are attached to the wires.)
The Rainbow knitting needle sets are popular and sometimes are out of stock. The next best alternative is the Mosaic Options Set.
Here’s a video review of the Sunstruck versions.
- Gorgeous colored wooden needles
- Smooth surface
- Excellent durability
- Knitpicks have a replacement policy for damaged or defective items
- Excellent customer service
- Your knitting experience is enhanced with the colorful tips
- Afforable price
- Great for magic loops
- Use the extra cables as stitch holders
- Vinyl snap lock case isn’t as appealing
- Different needle sizes are not marked
4. addi Click Rocket Lace Long Tip Interchangeable System
The addi interchangeable brass metal long tips (5″ long) are coated with white bronze. Addi no longer uses nickel plating.
The addi company has an excellent reputation for the craftsmanship of high-quality knitting needles sets. 24 different needle combinations.
- 8 different knitting needle sizes US 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- 3 blue addi SOS Lifeline insertion Cords for 24″, 32″, and 40″ needles
- 1 Click connector
- All the contents fit into a pink case
- Designed and made in Germany
- Lifetime Guarantee
Addi prides itself on its patented design of a ‘click-in tip.’ There are only click connections in the addi interchangeable knitting needle system. The click-in tip mechanism works with little effort.
- Insert the cord end into the addi interchangeable tip end
Users love these interchangeable knitting needles as they don’t come apart. This is an excellent interchangeable circular knitting needle system.
- The lace tips are sharp enough to grab the yarn
- Yarn glides over the joint between the needle and the cable
- Easy to put the needle and cable together, fast click connections
- The tip and cable don’t come apart when knitting
- Lifeline insertion point at each end of the cables.
- The addi click connector joins 2 cables together to make a longer one.
- Good selection of sizes
- Tips are smooth and a dream to work with
- Comes with a Lifetime Warranty from any manufacturer’s defect.
- Longer cable size is suitable for the magic loop technique
- Smooth, fast metal needles
- Some users reported when first using them, the connection was stiff
- The plating becomes tarnished with use
- The join between the cable and tip is not as seamless as the others mentioned here. People found the gap snags the yarn.
- Only 3 cables, you might have to buy spares if you have lots of projects on the go
Curious about what the best yarn online is? Find out in my guide.
5. Lykke Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
Lykke is Norwegian for happiness. This is one of the best interchangeable knitting needle collections.
The 5″ sets come in 3 different styles.
- Grey Set – Grey ends and a dark grey denim pouch
- Indigo Set – Blue ends with a blue denim pouch
- Umber Set – Golden brown ends and a mustard-colored pouch.
The tips in this set are a soft, weathered grey. They aren’t made from driftwood rather from birch. Users love the warming wood in their hands.
The 5″ sets of the interchangeable circular knitting needle come in the following size tips (US sizing & Millimeters)
- US4/3.5mm, US5/3.75mm, US6/4mm, US7/4.5mm, US8/5mm, US9/5.5mm, US10/6mm, US10/6.5mm, US11/8mm, US13/9mm, US15/10mm, US17/12m
- 2 24″ cords, 2 32″, 1 40″
- 2 connectors used for cable extenders, 4 keys, 8 stoppers
The tips aren’t so pointy, but they’re not blunt. An excellent in-between tip. They’re the longest tip reviewed in this article.
When using them, tighten the join between cable length and tip with the kit’s key. The cable key is a wire with a loop at the end. Use a little pressure to ensure a tightly fastened join.
This secures the join and makes sure you don’t have a problem later with your knitting project.
I’d suggest doing a test knit and creating a swatch to ensure you don’t have any problems.
- Smooth needle finish
- Appealing weathered loo
- Joins don’t snag the yarn
- Each size is etched into the end of the tip.
- Flexible cables
- Does the job for the magic loop method
- One of the better choices for arthritic hands
- These needle sets are handcrafted in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Pockets included in the fabric case
- Some people had issues with the cable connectors being too long and snagged the yarn.
Want more knitting equipment? Find out more in my post.
6. Knitters Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set
- 9 US Size Range: US 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5 & 11
- 4 Cords to make 24″, 40″ & 2 32″;
- 1 set of size markers
- 8 end caps
- 4 cord keys
- 1 cord case
Each needle size of the Knitter’s Pride (Knitpro) Dreamz set is a different color for easy identification. These needles are laminated birch wood with a slick, tapered finish.
They’re designing them to be lightweight and suitable for those with hand fatigue.
The Knitter’s Pride interchangeable knitting needles tips aren’t too pointy. The knitter’s pride needles tip screws onto the cord joint. Use the cord key to tighten.
Notes: In other countries, this interchangeable knitting set is labeled Knit Pro. Though you can get many varieties, none available from this brand have super short tips (2.75″).
- These medium sized needles suit a variety of projects.
- The manufacturer ensures the birch wood needles have a smooth finish and feel
- Smooth join between the cable and the tip is smooth
- Great for those with hand strain or pain.
- Great for making shawls, toys and other knits for yourself and friends
- You won’t accidentally knit with two different needle size tips.
- 32 cable and needle combinations in these systems
- Darker color tips may be difficult to see with dark-colored yarn
- Not suitable for magic loop
- Some found there were marks on the tips which scratched against each other when knitting
7. Clover Takumi Interchangeable Needles Set
This set of interchangeable needles is great for beginners. I’ve knitted with circular Clover needles and DPNs.
The bamboo needles strike a balance between being smooth, lightweight, and easy to work with.
You can use these Japanese needles for multiple projects and the best knitting needles for those who enjoy working with bamboo.
The Takumi Bamboo set has twelve knitting needle sizes. Each has the size and mm etched on it.
At A Glance
Needle Sizes Range
Tip length to join is
- 9.5 cm (3.75″) for needle sizes US 3-10 1/2 (3.25mm to 6.5 mm)
- 10.5 cm (4.13″) for US 8, 13 & 15 (8 mm, 9mm, & 10mm).
Five lengths – 16″, 24″, 29″, 36″, and 48″.
A screw join connects the two parts. You screw the tip into the cord. The bamboo needles are enclosed in a leather-like zippered fabric case.
- Smooth bamboo needle tips and joins
- These manufacturers produce flexible cables
- This thing is easy to work with
- Bamboo needles tips are tapered
- Good for the magic loop
- Comfortable tip lengths
- Country of origin is Japan
- Good value for money
- Creates a lovely result
- Little chance of them breaking
- Some people said the bamboo needles joins sometimes separate. Ensure they’re fastened
- If you have a tight tension, these might be hard to work with
8. Denise Interchangeable Blue Kit Brights
The kit, manufactured in the United States, contains ten pairs color-coded of plastic resin needle tips. Denise has a lot of options for the beginner in their collection.
This interchangeable circular knitting needles set comes with:
- 10 pairs of different sizes – US 5 / 3.75mm to US 15 / 10mm
- Six cords (5″, 9″, 12″, 14″, 16″, and 19″)
- Connector piece
- Four end buttons
- A compact blue case
An interesting fact: This company is credited with inventing this kind of needle!
- Tips are formulated plastic resin for maximum smoothness
- The different needle sizes are fun colors
- A simple twist and turn to attach the tip to cable
- Denise needles are made in the USA with a sturdy construction, as are the cables and accessories
- These things suit a beginner’s and kids needs
- Family owned and operated business
- Has dozens of reviews with five stars
- These products are good if you’re on a budget
- The plastic cases hold the pairs of needle tips snuggly
- One issue is the smallest pairs of needles may bend if you’re knitting tightly
Learn more in my full review of Denise Interchangeable Needles.
Comparable Products To Consider
What Are Interchangeable Knitting Needles?
Interchangeable Knitting Needles are a needle tips pair joined by a flexible cable. However, the cable isn’t fixed.
They’re fabulous for knitting in the round. Sweaters, hats, socks, and more. Something for everyone to try depending on your preferences. Start any task knowing you have the right needles!
Learning to do this is difficult, but with progress, you’ll get better.
(Note: These aren’t straights, as if you only use the tips, you risk the stitches falling off! You can knit flat pieces, though.)
How Do They Differ From Fixed Circulars?
The cord isn’t fused to the knitting needles at each end. The knitting needles and cable are separate pieces connecting with a screw link or twist and click.
Typically the ends have a screw-type fitting. The cables feature a hollow end.
The attaching method varies.
- Screw on
- A little key for locking the tips to the cables
They’re also more expensive, but you’ll often find them on sale. On seller websites, you’ll often find offers for a discount on your purchase if you sign up for their newsletter.
Take advantage of the more economical cost!
What’s To Love
Knitting patterns call for specific needle size and cable length. Having a quality interchangeable needle set is that you have many different options.
This saves knitters realizing their craft basket contains knitting needles they never use! (1) Sometimes, they have multiples of the same needle size!
Quality Interchangeable Needles solve these problems.
The best interchangeable needles have various knitting needles with cables in a case. Mix and match the knitting needles and cables. Construct as many circular knitting needles as the parts allow.
When the project grows, the weight rests on your lap.
Thread thin embroidery yarn through the pin hole (the pinhole is before the tip) on the needle or connector for a life line. Great for lace knitting.
Work on many projects with the same tip. Remove the cables’ needles and add two end caps to secure your stitches. Then use the ends on another project.
Make extra-long cables by using a connector to join different interchangeable needles cables.
How Are They Measured?
From tip to tip. (The length of the interchangeable needles and the wire connecting them combined.) They range from 16 to 40″.
What Does The Best Interchangeable Needle Set Have?
The criteria for the best interchangeable needle set is:
- Smooth joins (nothing is more important than this part!)
- Both parts remain connected
- The best interchangeable needles have flexible cables
- At least 6 diameters of tips
- At least 4 lengths of cables
- Smart looking case (it only matters if you want it to)
- End caps
What Makes The Best Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set
Most sets are an investment. Consider this critera before buying.
There are many features to learn about and sort through, but I break them down for you below.
What Needle Material?
They’re made from many materials, like aluminum, carbon fiber, stainless steel, wood, bamboo, or plastic. (Crochet hooks are made of the same, and you can find interchangeable ones too!)
The best kinds of interchangeables are high-quality items. Choose the material you enjoy working with and what suits your projects and yarns.
What Knitting Projects Do You Do?
Having larger ones for your knitting activity is good if you create many projects. Opt for smaller needle sizes if you’re a lace knitter or sock knitter.
Short Or Long Tips?
Some knitters swear by interchangeable needles with long ones (5-5.5″.) This way, they’re easier to hold and don’t cause cramping in the hands.
The short ones (3.5-4″) make smaller circles. Great for socks or sleeves.
These measurements are from the end of the needle to the cable connection.
What Are Lace Tips?
Some are ‘Lace Tip needles”. They’re sharp and pointy for intricate stitches when knitting lace patterns.
Not So Kinky
Choose flexible and smooth cables. Some sets have rotating swivel ones. Much easier to use when in knitting action mode!
Connectors create extra-long cables. Perfect for bigger projects, afghans, and blankets. Most of the best interchangeable knitting needles have these.
Let’s Put A Stop To It
End caps stop stitches coming off the cables when the interchangeable needles are removed. Perfect for trying on a garment to check it.
In addition, for when you have multiple projects on the go, or if you’ve run out of cable space in the middle of your creation.
Other Nifty Tools
Some sets have a pin. This tool ensures the connection point is strong. (Don’t lose these, as the times when they go missing means it’s hard to get any knitting done.)
Grippers connect the tip and cable. Place one over a needle and another over the wire. Twist the parts in the opposite direction.
Stitch Markers come in handy to
- Mark a round beginning
- Pattern repeats
- Where to increase and decrease.
Bottom Line: the knitting needles set by Knit Picks are my preference. The laminated birch wood tips are smooth, gorgeous rainbow colors, lightweight, and comfortable and the flexible cables don’t kink.
This creates the best knitting experience. Something to take a look at for your next project!
An interchangeable knitting set is a worthwhile investment. If you already have a choice for your interchangeable knitting needles set, I’d love to hear about it. Tell me in the comments.
Have questions or something you need to know? I’m happy to help answer your question.
(1) Keith Harper, Knitting Needle ladder used by Blake to escape. Retrieved from theguardian.com/world/1966/oct/24/russia.keithharper, Jan 2020
Next > Black Friday Yarn Deals